-->

Saturday, January 31, 2009

DJ Gavin Holland @ DC9

I finally made it out to one of DC's premier indie rock venues, DC9. Ironically, tonight did not feature local bands but instead was a dance party typical of their weekend nights.

The first floor is a cozy little dive-ish bar with a small selection of plush and intimate (aka small) booths. Upstairs is the crowded dancefloor, with so many bodies gyrating I thought several times the floor might cave in. DJs Gavin Holland, SteveLove, and Enaisee keep the room moving with mindless dance beats that featured lyrics like:

Soap
and water
Soap
and water
Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap Soap
and water

Ok, I'm being a little harsh. I'm just not a dance person. I had a good time and the bartender/co-owner Josh was very cool to us. DC9 attracts a diverse crowd, much of which are made up of very chill people. I'm looking forward to checking it out during the week for a different experience.

Amazing pictures of the crowd by Josh Sisk here.

Shout outs to T-Bone, Stiletto, and The Flash. I would pay good money to see you guys gyrating to 'soap and water' remixed.