-->

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Charlie Maddox @ Big Meadows Lodge

I had the chance to escape the urban cityscape this weekend and camped out in the Shenandoah Park. It was beautiful weather at Big Meadows campground, which is a park ideal for a city goer like me because they offer full facilities like showers, bathrooms, fire pits, and a lodge with a restaurant and bar.

While taking advantage of the latter I caught some live folk music by veteran Shenandoah musician Charlie Maddox. Charlie specialized in pre-1920s mountain folk music played on guitar, banjo, and the ancient mandrake pictured here.

I'm not big on folk tunes, but I really enjoyed his talent and appreciation for the origins of the music. His piano-like melodies of the mandrake created some beautiful British isle songs.