-->

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Matthew Good @ Iota


Caught the Matthew Good show just in time at IOTA on Thursday. I don't remember hearing his music before but someone told me he had a good sound in the late 90's so I was optimistic.

But this was just him doing acoustic solos, and I hear when he used to perform with his band (the appropriately named Matthew Good Band) he was much better.

I was a little taken back by how quiet the crowd was. It was almost a full house that night, but there was a church like hush that creeped me out. Things warmed up a little when he started playing slightly more upbeat songs.

I'm not sure if it was worth paying the steep $15 cover for this show. Don't get me wrong - Matthew Good has an incredible voice that he can turn on effortlessly. And his rants were entertaining, even the political ones.

But I don't think he enjoyed playing at Iota, as he made fun of the lighting as looking like a "bad college dorm room" and gave me the impression he wanted to get the hell out of there.

1 comment:

sleestack70 said...

Some background info for you. Matt's show the night before in Philly was quite problematic. Matt was heckled in a seated venue where the heckler was an older woman sitting 5 feet in front of his face. It was a whole debacle and he had to pack up and leave early. So, the story is that everyone in the room at Iota was a huge fan and reads his blog, so they all knew he was still recovering from a bad incident the night before. Hence the respectful silence. Also keep in mind, many of us have been waiting for over 10 years to see him play in our hometown area, so we were kind of having one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments that sort of make you speechless. Also, I know Matt and he was extremely delighted with the venue. The lighting joke is just his style of humor. He went on and on the next day about how great it was. And yes, the solo show is very different, but for us true fans, he could stand up there and yodel and we'd all be happy. Thanks for reviewing his show.